After a month of hype and build up, my Twitter profile finally changed yesterday. Voila! See it for yourself:
… I like it! A lot, actually. And here’s why:
- Profile and header images are bigger and bolder than before. There’s a huge opportunity to make a big impact here so choose your images wisely. Make sure your photos are high-res – if you’re searching for images you can always check this post out. The new recommended sizes are 400 x 400 pixels for the profile image and 1500 x 500 pixels for the profile header.
- You can now “Pin Tweets” to the top of your timeline. This is a great resource and I will be doing this for all my new blog posts as this will be the first thing people see when they visit my profile!
- Your Tweets are now separate from your Tweets & Replies. This means that the conversations you have with others have been removed from your main timeline, making your timeline cleaner and more presentable. Conversely, if you are searching someone else’s profile it’s now a lot easier to search for the people they’re mentioning or having an online conversation with. Photos and videos have their own separate stream as well.
- Real-time notifications: just like what you on Facebook, you’ll receive real-time notifications when someone replies, favourites, RTs or sends you a DM.
- Your best Tweets (aka the ones that get the most engagement) will now appear larger than the others.
While I was initially skeptical that this new re-design would be too similar to Facebook, I have to admit that I’m completely blown away by how awesome Twitter has become: it is aesthetically pleasing to look at and also has some great functionalities that will make using the social platform a lot easier. What do you think?